Introduction to different types of Carbopol polymers and answers to frequently asked questions
Carbopol is a highly efficient cross-linked polyacrylate polymer used as a thickener and rheology modifier to provide a high viscosity and transparent liquid for making a variety of customized gels and creams. Suitable for various skin care and hair care products. Make clear gel and viscous liquid. The products in the Carbopol polymer series are chemically similar because they are all high molecular weight cross-linked polyacrylic acid polymers. However, the difference between these gel-forming polymers lies in their chemical cross-linking and their classification is also different.
Introduction of Carbopol polymer types
Carbopol homopolymer: acrylic acid is cross-linked with allyl sucrose or allyl pentaerythritol,
Carbopol copolymer: acrylic acid and C10-C30 alkyl acrylate crosslinked with allyl pentaerythritol
Carbopol interpolymers: Carbopol homopolymers or copolymers containing block copolymers of polyethylene glycol and long-chain alkyl esters, block copolymers containing polyethylene glycol and long-chain alkyl esters
Common problems and solutions
Product Features Description Suggestions
Translucent particles, not completely wetted (will eventually become hydrates in a few days)
1. Disperse and stir well
2. Store dry polymers correctly
There are solid clumps (the easiest to find when spreading the product into a film) 1. Properly disperse and stir
2. Avoid compatibility with other materials
3. Adjust the order of addition
Too much air trapped in the product
1. Properly disperse and stir
2. Let stand for a while after dispersing
3. Before adding neutralizer, use a very small amount of inorganic acid (hydrochloric acid, phosphoric acid) to defoam
Inconsistent or unstable values (due to incomplete swelling of the polymer
1. Properly disperse and stir
2. Use a suitable neutralizer (solution) gradually 3. Adjust the pH value
3. Before measuring the pH value, ensure that the neutralizer is evenly mixed
Inconsistent or unstable values (due to incomplete swelling of the polymer lower than the expected value, proper dispersion and stirring)
1. Use a suitable neutralizer (solution) to gradually adjust the pH value, preferably in the range of stable viscosity
2. Increase the polymer concentration
3. Wait long enough before measuring
4. Increase polymer concentration
5. Use ion-resistant Carbopol polymer specifications
6. Adjust the pH value (preferably choose the pH in the interval of stable viscosity)
1. In an aqueous system, hot water will not help the dispersion and swelling of the Carbopol polymer, but will easily cause small clumps in the dispersion. When Carbopol polymer is added to hot water, the water vapor generated by the hot water will cause the polymer to absorb moisture and coalesce, which is easy to produce fine agglomerates in the subsequent dispersion process. In addition, water temperature higher than 60°C will partially plasticize the polymer.
2. If the feeding and stirring step is performed properly, there is no need to soak for a long time, such as overnight. Adding and stirring make the polymer uniformly dispersed in the water, the subsequent steps give the polymer enough time for hydration, and finally the neutralization.
Carbomer always encounters many different problems when using it. The above Desheng has made a summary for you. If we can learn more about Carbomer in advance, it will not only save time, but also save costs, and avoid many detours. As a professional carbomer manufacturer, Desheng possesses such professional capabilities and firmly believes that our products will eventually be recognized by every customer.
3- (cyclohexylamine) -1-propanesulfonic acid, abbreviated as CAPS, is an important buffer and laboratory reagent. At present, the demand for it in the market is gradually increasing. In view of industry competition, various manufacturers are constantly adjusting prices to attract customer flow. So what is the connection between its price adjustment and? This article will answer everyone's doubts.